Home » Herbs Benefits » Bladderwrack Benefits
Bladderwrack benefits have long been associated with thyroid gland related disorders. This seaweed is also known to possess thyroid tonic, anti-inflammatory, nutritive, demulcent, anti-rheumatic and metabolic stimulant properties.
Bladderwrack is a seaweed harvested from cool ocean waters mainly in the Pacific and Atlantic, but also in the North Sea and Baltic Sea. It is very commonly recognized through its air-filled thalli or "bladders" that keep it afloat. Fresh bladderwrack possesses varied colors ranging from a bright green and orange to brown. It is usually found attached to rocks in protected areas in the shoreline.
The entire bladderwrack plant is gathered from its anchorage at the rocks usually in late June and is dried rapidly under the sun. Upon dehydration, its color changes to black, becomes brittle, and may easily be reduced to a coarse powder.
Also known by its scientific name fucus vesiculosus, the bladderwrack has fronds that have a prominent midrib and the aforementioned air bladders which are spherical in shape and typically paired. Its margins are smooth. The perennial fan-shaped frond or thallus has a length that varies from 2 to 3 feet.
Bladderwrack tastes very much like salty fish. It is typically consumed raw or cooked, boiled or steamed. It is normally added to soups and savory dishes and is a fairly common addition to salad dishes in Japan, Korea and Vietnam. It has likewise been marketed as a food supplement and taken in the form of tablets and capsules. It is also taken as an herbal drink.
The following are the health food nutrients that contribute to the considerable bladderwrack benefits to health:
Bladderwrack is also believed to contain mucilage, algin, alginic acid, beta-carotene, mannitol, volatile oils, fucoidan and zeaxanthin.
Individuals with thyroid conditions should consult such their physicians before using bladderwrack. Pregnant and breastfeeding women should avoid the use of this seaweed, as do children under the age of 5.
The following are the bladderwrack benefits attributed to this health food:
- Bladderwrack may be helpful in the treatment of goiter and other disorders in the thyroid glands. Its high iodine content is believed to help stimulate the thyroid glands and enhance metabolism.
- Bladderwrack may help in reducing weight due to its reported ability to restore lipid balance on individuals with obesity associated with dysfunction in the thyroid glands.
- Bladderwrack is believed to be helpful in alleviating rheumatoid arthritis and rheumatism.
- Bladderwrack has been shown to help lengthen the menstrual cycles, while lowering the days of menstruation per cycle.
- Due to its fiber content, bladderwrack may be helpful in relieving constipation, as well as diarrhea.
- Bladderwrack may be helpful in fighting gastritis.
- Bladderwrack is believed to help in fighting heartburn.
Do you find the contents of this site useful and helpful? Feel free to bookmark, share and tell your friends about this site."
Ready to take that first step toward a healthier life?
Buy organic bladderwrack here!